Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Fathers Day - a sweet day to celebrate dads, grandpas, uncles and so many more fatherly figures! To the man who saw most of our family vacations and events 1/2 in black and white and half in color as he filmed them with our big 1980's video camera, film camera slung around his other shoulder.  To the man who wouldn't let me leave the driveway without proving I could change the tire on my first car in college.  Or the man who flew or drove to his home town in Michigan several times (2x's in the dead of winter... which he hates!)over the last year to check out a house I was interested in, was going to buy and then had bought.  The man who gave me tires, tools and cameras for Christmas and picks me up at the airport every time I fly home for the last 8 years.
Cowboy boots & bare feet enjoying the Grand Haven beach!

I recently came across the quote "A father carries pictures where his money used to be.” – Anonymous
This would be my dad - 15 plus years of school pictures worn and weathered.  Or the fact that I used to love "borrowing" his sweatshirts in high school and apparently had the habit of stretching the cuffs out on the sleeves - which he now is reminded of whenever he wears most of them and tries to push the sleeves up and finds they won't stay. Opps :)  Or as I sit here writing this post wearing one of my favorite shirts, an old chambary shirt that I "borrowed" a few years ago when I was home for a wedding...and it somehow found its way back into my suitcase and back to Virginia. 

Hope you all are able to celebrate the men in your life today, or to reflect on the legacy they left behind.  For the ways they love you and make you feel special - even if it might take you a decade or two to see it.  As my uncle has always told me... "I am his favorite niece."  And as I often say back "I am your only niece!"  but I am always met with "but you are still my favorite!"

“It’s only when you grow up, and step back from him, or leave him for your own career and your own home. It’s only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it. Pride reinforces love.” – Margaret Truman

No comments: